The Cincinnati, Lebanon & Northern Railway

NARROW GAUGE IN OHIO
The Cincinnati, Lebanon & Northern Railway
By
John W. Hauck

PRUETT PUBLISHING COMPANY
®1986 By John W. Hauck
All rights reserved, including those to reproduce this book, or parts thereof, in any form, without permission in writing from the Publisher
First Edition
Printed in the United States of America
Library of Congress Cataloging in Publication Data
Hauck, John W., 1951-Narrow gauge in Ohio.

Hauck, John W., 1951-Narrow gauge in Ohio.
Includes index
1. Cincinnati, Lebanon and Northern Railway
I. Title.
TF25.C567H38 1985 385′.5’097717 82-23037
ISBN 0-87108-629-8

Webmasters note. The Pruett Publishing Company seems to be defunct. It seems the arthor is deceased as I was unable to contact anyone. There are still come copies of this book on Amazon and other websites.
https://www.amazon.com/Narrow-Gauge-Ohio-Cincinnati-Northern/dp/0871086298

Longitudinal profile of the Deer Creek tunnel, showing the progress of the work as of March 1, 185. Found in both the “Second Annual Report of the Dayton and Cincinnati (Short Line) Rail Road,” Cincinnati, 1854, p. 16, and the “Third Annual Report.” Cincinnati, 1855, p. 8, Ohio Historical Society.

Plan and profile of the CL&N railroad and Deer Creek tunnel under Walnut Hills. This shows the actual construction work performed by the Dayton and Cincinnati Railroad and subsequent organizations beginning in the early 1850s. Cornelius W. Hauck.

Looking north into the Deer Creek valley from Eden Park on Mount Adams, near downtown Cincinnati, about 1880. Mount Auburn is directly across the valley to the left, while Walnut Hills is at the head of the valley to the right. On the floor of the valley can be seen both the tunnel portal and stone walling constructed by the Dayton and Cincinnati Railroad Company in the early 1850s and the temporary trestle work built by the Miami Valley Railway in the late 1870s. The trestle work is about thirty feet in height and one hundred feet distant from Gilbert Avenue. Deer Creek Road can barely be seen at the very bottom of the valley. The Miami Valley has already begun dumping dirt or refuse along the base of the trestlework. Within another three decades, not only the trestlework but the entire valley floor was filled in to the level of Gilbert Avenue and the railroad tracks. D.C. Redington, photographer. Cincinnati Historical Society Collection

Double track CL&N main line at the Baldwin Piano plant in the Deer Creek valley. The Walnut Hills tunnel is at the top of this grade, which at this point in the valley is close to 3.5 percent. The roadway crossing the tracks next to the factory building is Eden Park Entrance. Cincinnati Historical Society.

McMillan Street underpass, looking north. Entrance to the Oak Street tunnel is just beyond. The CL&N narrow gauge operated on double tracks laid through the underpass and Oak Street tunnel. Likewise, upon conversion to standard gauge the CL&N retained the double tracks through the tunnel until about 1916, when two passenger trains sideswiped each other in the tunnel. The CL&N relaid the track as gantlet after the tunnel incident. Lad G. Arend.

Court Street depot. 1937. The long. single train shed extending out from the station had not yet been removed. C. Rondinelli.

Court Street depot in the 1940s, long after it had ceased to be used as a passenger station. Lad G. Arend.

Rear of the Court Street depot in the 1940s. Formerly. the train shed extended out from the rear of the building, directly above the double doors leading to the waiting room. The single story wing to the right of the main building was a later addition, containing a men’s restroom and a small lunchroom. Lad G. Arend.

View of the Deer Creek valley in the 1890s looking south from the Baldwin Piano plant. Mount Auburn and Reading Road are to the right, while the main line of the CL&N is to the left. Retaining walls to the entrance of the old Denver Creek tunnel can be seen in the ravine to the immediate left of Reading Road. Later this area was entirely filled in, leveled over, and dedicated as the Deer Creek Common Playfield. Cincinnati Historical Society.

Stone arching of the old Deer Creek tunnel broken into during construction of Interstate 71 in March 1966. Cornelius W. Hauck.

Stone arching of the old Deer Creek tunnel broken into during construction of Interstate 71 in March 1966. Having previously been covered for the construciion of the Deer Creek Common Playfield, the tunnel en trance was exposed again one last time during the construction of 1-71. Cornelius W. Hauck.

Stone arching of the old Deer Creek tunnel broken into during construction of Interstate 71 in 1966. The poles in the background mark the former location of Reading Road. Cornelius W. Hauck.

South portal of the Oak Street Tunnel in Walnut Hills. A slight curve in the middle of the tunnel precludes a straight line of sight through its thousand-foot length. The tunnel was constructed by excavating the hillside down to the current level of the tracks, then roofing over a portion of the cut. The open area in front of the tunnel entrance shows the magnitude of the excavation work performed. Note the poor drainage problem that existed in the excavated area between the tunnel portal and the McMillan Street underpass behind the camera. Lad G. Arend.

McMillan Street underpass in December 1965, long after the double track had been removed. Entrance to Oak Street tunnel is in the background. Cornelius W. Hauck

Total Page Visits: 543 - Today Page Visits: 1